What is Animal Osteopathy?
What can an Animal Osteopath help with?
A lot of people consider osteopaths as treating just bad backs but it can also help in improving any of the following:
- Stiffness in different areas of the body i.e. shoulders or hips etc
- Stiffness in older animals
- Gait issues
- Problems with head carriage
- Muscle imbalance and spasms
- Uneven muscle bulk
Some problems may not present as obvious physical issues but say with horses it can manifest as:
- Changes in behaviour: bucking, bolting, rearing, kicking, and refusing to jump
- Difficulties or issues with saddling, unable to stand still or relax
- Hyper-sensitivity to clipping, brushing or difficulty shoeing
With dogs it can be similar in regards:
- Changes in behaviour
- Reduced performance, especially with Greyhounds
- General sensitivity
Treatment can not only help with the above but also assist with:
- Rehabilitation after injury
- Rehabilitation and support with
- Conditions such as arthritis
When would be best to contact an Animal Osteopath?
Do I need to consult my vet?
What will treatment involve?
Treatment may consist of any of the following, and is tailored to the animal and owner:
- Stretching techniques
- Trigger point
- Therapeutic ultrasound
To help with some of the above, we use a tool called FascialEdge, specifically developed for the treatment of animals.
In just a short time it can help relieve symptoms and breakdown inflammation in tissues.
How long does the treatment take?
Should I have regular treatments for my animal(s)?
Horses are historically prey animals so they try to hide any issues they have, thus for the horse to show signs of discomfort it can be due to long-standing issues. Therefore, having regular treatments can be extremely beneficial for you and your horse.
For greyhounds, regular treatment is essential to keep them at peak performance, exactly the same as any elite athlete.
Is treatment covered on my animal insurance?
What areas do you cover?
How much does treatment cost?
Prices on enquiry but we are willing to offer discounts for multiple bookings. Please contact us to discuss this further.
‘Actually jealous of Ryan’s (My horse) session with the osteopath today! Thank you, Ben was fantastic and has got a friend for life in Ryan now 😂 will absolutely be recommending him and using him again!’